You are eligible for City of Baytown Benefits on the first day of the month following completion of one month as an active employee if you are scheduled for 30 hours or more per week.You may enroll your eligible dependents in the same plans you choose for yourself. Eligible dependents include your legal spouse and children up to age 26.
The choices you make when you first become eligible remain in effect for the remainder of the plan year. Once you are enrolled, you must wait until the next open enrollment period to change your benefits or add or remove coverage for dependents, unless you have a qualified change in family status as defined by the IRS. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Marriage, divorce, legal separation, dissolution of domestic partnership
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Death of your spouse or your dependent
- Change in your spouse’s work status that affects his or her benefits
- Change in your child’s eligibility for benefits or receiving a qualified medical child support order
Note: You have 30 days from the life event date to make changes to your coverage by reporting your requested changes along with the supporting documentation of the life event to Human Resources.